第5章 Oliver Cromwell 奥利弗·克伦威尔
三百多年前,在资本主义生产方式发展典型的英国,发生了揭开近代史时期的资产阶级革命。这次革命沉重地打击了英国的封建专制制度,为英国资本主义的发展扫清了道路,并且沉重打击了整个封建体系。正是在这个时期,奥利弗·克伦威尔成了这次革命的领导者。这场革命的全部特色反映在他的身上,他成了这次革命的政治焦点,成了这个时代的一面镜子。
About Cromwell 关于克伦威尔
Oliver Cromwell was an English military and political leader best known in England for his overthrow of the monarchy and temporarily turning England into a republican Commonwealth and for his rule as Lord Protector of England,Scotland and Ireland.
Cromwell was born into the ranks of the middle gentry,and remained relatively obscure for the first 40 years of his life.His lifestyle resembled that of a yeoman farmer until he received an inheritance from his uncle.After undergoing a religious conversion during the same decade,Cromwell made an independent style of puritanism an essential part of his life.As a ruler he executed an aggressive and effective foreign policy and did as much as any English leader to shape the future of the land he governed.But his Commonwealth collapsed after his death and the royal family was restored in 1660.An intensely religious man—a self-styled Puritan Moses—he fervently believed God was guiding his victories.He was never identified with any one sect or position,however,and strongly favoured religious tolerance for all the various Protestant groups.
He was elected Member of Parliament for Cambridge in the Short (1640) and Long (1640-1649) Parliaments.He entered the English Civil War on the side of the "Roundheads" or Parliamentarians and became a key military leader.Nicknamed "Old Ironsides",he was quickly promoted from leading a single cavalry troop to command of the entire army.In 1649 he was one of the signatories of Charles I's death warrant and was a member of the Rump Parliament (1649-1653),which selected him to take command of the English campaign in Ireland during 1649-1650.He led a campaign against the Scottish army between 1650 and 1651.On 20 April 1653 he dismissed the Rump Parliament by force,setting up a short-lived nominated assembly known as the Barebones Parliament,before being made Lord Protector of England,Wales,Scotland and Ireland on 16 December 1653.He was buried in Westminster Abbey.After the Royalists returned to power,they had his corpse dug up,hung in chains,and beheaded.
奥利弗·克伦威尔是英国政治家、军事家、宗教领袖。17世纪英国资产阶级革命中,资产阶级——新贵族集团的代表人物、独立派的首领。
我们应该怎样估价克伦威尔对历史的总的影响呢?当然他的重要作用就在于他是一位杰出的军事将领,在英国内战中打败了保皇党军队。其实在克伦威尔初露锋芒之前的战争的初期,议会军在一定程度上遭到了失败,看来要是没有他,这支军队完全有可能不会取得最后的胜利。克伦威尔胜利的结果使民主政体在英国得到了持续和巩固。人们不应该把这看做是无论如何都会发生的事件。在17世纪,欧洲大部地区都正在朝着更强大的君主专制主义的方向发展;民主政体在英国的胜利是逆总的历史趋势而出现的事件,在随后的年月里,英国民主政体的榜样对法国启蒙运动、法国革命和最终在西欧建立民主政体都是一个重要因素。还有显而易见的是,民主势力在英国的胜利对于在美国以及英国先前的殖民地如加拿大和澳大利亚建立民主政体都起到至关重要的作用。虽然英国在世界上只是个弹丸之地,但是民主政体却从英国涌向世界的其他某些范围不小的地区。
Key words&Sentences
关键词句全知道
After a while Cromwell's stern countenance relaxed into a smile.
过了一会儿,克伦威尔紧绷的脸露出笑容。
Cromwell was of the active,not the reflective temper.
克伦威尔生性躁动,缺乏深思熟虑的性格。
"Depart,and let us have done with you."Cromwell told the Rump Parliament.
“让我们了断后离开。”克伦威尔对英国尾闾议会如是说。
Perhaps it would be safer to attribute it to Cromwell's absence from the manor.
或许把这归因于克伦威尔的消失更稳妥一些。
Cromwell secured the boon by the timely present of some choice sweetmeats to Pope Julius II.
他不失时机地对教皇朱利乌斯二世甜言蜜语、巧言令色,确保了这一恩惠的获得。
Oliver Cromwell was engaged in a warm argument with a lady.
克伦威尔正和一位女士激辩。
A hundred long years must still elapse before Englishman could hear the name Cromwell.
离英国人听到奥利弗·克伦姆威尔的名字还有一百年之久呢。
Notable former Cambridge students include Oliver Cromwell,Isaac Newton,Charles Darwin and Stephen Hawking.
克伦威尔,牛顿,达尔文和霍金,这些曾经的剑桥学子都是剑桥辉煌的象征。
The breakout of the early bourgeois revolution was a turning point of the lifetimes of Cromwell and Napoleon.
早期资产阶级革命的爆发,是克伦威尔与拿破仑一生的转折点。
Cromwell himself,that walking paradox was neither as austere nor as principled as portrayed in most textbooks.
克伦威尔是一个充满着矛盾的人,与大部分教科书的描述不同,他既不严于律己,也不恪守信条。
Elizabeth I and Cromwell thereby justified to their soldiers the murder,and even the torture,of Irish civilians.
伊丽莎白一世和克伦威尔将他们的士兵屠杀,甚至把对爱尔兰平民的酷刑合理化。
In the street in front of it there was a statue of a man on horseback which was supposed to represent Oliver Cromwell.
纪念碑前边的街上还有座塑像,听说是奥立佛·克伦威尔。
Hugo in his preface to Cromwell wrote "The stage should make as complete as possible the illusion of reality."
雨果在他的小说《克伦威尔》的前言中写道:“舞台应该与幻想中的情景尽可能一致。”
He was instrumental in the downfall of his cousin Anne Boleyn,onetime ally Cromwell and bitter rival Cardinal Wolsey.
他在其表妹安·博林,曾经一度的盟友克伦威尔和老冤家沃尔西主教的垮台中起了重要作用。
But some obvious historical figures did make it in including Oliver Cromwell and the playwright William Shakespeare.
但是,某些著名的历史人物也总算是名列其中,包括奥利弗·克伦威尔和戏剧家威廉·莎士比亚。
When Cromwell took over England in 1645,Christmas was cancelled as part of a Puritan effort to rid the country of decadence.
在1645年克伦威尔掌管英国的时候,圣诞节作为清教徒努力去让国家摆脱颓废的一部分而被取消。
The king is fighting the republican forces of Oliver Cromwell.
国王正与克伦威尔的共和武力部队作战。
Cromwell dissolved the Rump Parliament in 1653.
克伦威尔在1653年解散了残余国会。
Oliver Cromwell defeated the Covenanters here.
奥利弗·克伦威尔在此击败神圣盟约派。
He serves in Oliver Cromwell's army in the English Civil Wars.
英国内战时,他在克伦威尔的军中服役。
Oliver Cromwell thundered,"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately."
奥利弗·克伦威尔宣称:“你们在这个位子上太久了,很久没有什么贡献了,这样下去对谁都没有好处。”
Cromwell declared that there was no eloquence but that which sprang from the heart.
克伦威尔则说,言出由中,才能雄辩。
Let's Talk!
开始交流吧!
Mike:What are you working on?
麦克:你在忙什么啊?
Daisy:I'm working on my presentation tomorrow.
黛西:我在准备明天的演讲。
Mike:What will you talk about?
麦克:你要讲什么?
Daisy:Cromwell.
黛西:克伦威尔。
Mike:I've heart of him.
麦克:我听说过他。
Daisy:What do you know about Cromwell?
黛西:你对克伦威尔了解多少?
Mike:I know he overthrew the monarchy.
麦克:我知道他推翻了王权。
Daisy:Yes,you have history very carefully.
黛西:是的,你历史学得很不错。
Mike:But that's all I know about him.
麦克:但我对他就知道这么多了。
Daisy:That's enough to prove his greatness.
黛西:那已经足以证明他的伟大。
Mike:How will you talk about him in class?
麦克:你准备怎么在课上介绍他?
Daisy:I will talk about his life experience,influence,and some interesting story about him.
黛西:我将介绍他的生活经历,影响,还有一些关于他的有趣的故事。
Mike:Oh,you have a lot to prepare.
麦克:哦,那你要准备很多。
Daisy:Yes,I was collecting material.
黛西:是的,我正在搜集材料。
Mike:Then I won't bother you.
麦克:那我就不打扰你了。