当然,
Of course
更快的还是黄蜂。
The wasp was even faster.
我虚心地向黄蜂请教“快”的问题,
I humbly asked for instruction in being fast.
他热心地给我示范如何快速地飞行。
He enthusiastically showed me how fast he could fly.
我惊叹于他高超的飞行技巧,
I was amazed by his accomplishments in flying,
却见他飞得太快而不小心撞上了蛛网,
But he went too fast and carelessly flew into a spider web,
片刻间一命归西。
In a moment's time he gave up the ghost.
我替他惋惜又暗自庆幸,
I felt terrible for him, yet I rejoiced to myself:
慢的好处真要细心才能领会,
It takes careful thought to grasp the benefit of slowness.
祖先的智慧自有道理。
Our ancestors' wisdom makes sense after all.
我继续缓缓地、缓缓地爬行。
I continued crawling in my slow laggardly way;
路边传来一阵呻吟,
From the roadside I could hear a moaning sound.
是一只年老的蜗牛摔破了壳,
It was an old snail whose shell had been broken in a fall.
正被蚂蚁们啮咬着身体。
There were ants gnawing at her flesh.
可怜她已经老得走不动路,
Pitiful old soul——she was no longer able to walk.
只能任由欺凌。
She could only submit to her torments.
我上前安慰她:放宽心,一切都会好的。
I approached and spoke reassuring words.“Put your mind at ease, Things will work out in the end.”
她无奈地摇头道:没有用的,等你自己到了这一天就会知道。
She shook her head in resignation.“It is no use. When your dark day comes, you will know.”
我们已习惯于用安慰去表示关心,
It was our habit to say comforting words, to show concern.
明知安慰只是欺人并自欺,
We knew our reassurances were deceptive to both of us,